8.16.2009

Blueberry Crumb Bars and Obsessions

I haven't been very good at this whole blogging thing. Not that anyone but me really knows that. Lately you can find my husband and I on the computer playing "Word Whomp," obsessed. I keep trying to get better at crosswords, but darnit, they are hard. "Word Whomp" on the other hand is wonderful, you don't feel stupid and you feel incredibly smart when you find all of the words. But, anyhow...I have been making an assortment of baked goods and delicious meals. However, since today is today, I will post what I made this afternoon, "Blueberry Crumb-diddly-umcious Bars." This could be the easiest dessert to make! It really only took me a trip to the store for some berries and about 45 minutes at home.Here is the pan with the blueberry mixture on top of the dough. I will then put the rest of the dough on top. It will be a crumblicious concoction. Concoction: any foodstuff made by combining different ingredients. I have now used that word twice today.Witness me sprinkling the remaining dough on top of the blueberries. Photo courtesy of one Phillip Mitchell. After sprinkling takes place it is now time to put the bars into the oven. What comes out no one really knows for sure....There is nothing like removing the baked good/s from the oven and having it look beautiful. What's even better is when they taste good too.

Blueberry Crumb Bars
Found on SmittenKitchen.com which was adapted from AllRecipes.com

A small note about the ingredients that I use. A couple of years ago I took an Cultural Anthropology class and basically it scared the shit out of me concerning the food we put in our bodies. Several videos shown in class about farmers being run out of town by corporations brought me to tears. So, although we cannot afford it, my husband and I try to only shop at the Local Co-op, The Lawrence Community Mercantile, or the Merc. So, in regards to the ingredients some of mine are different. I use Natural Cane sugar and wheat all-purpose flour. I totally suggest using these ingredients opposed to the refined, processed ones. It tastes the same, if not a little better, and you know that you aren't putting weird chemicals in your body.

1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cold unsalted butter (2 sticks or 8 ounces)
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest and juice of one lemon
4 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan.

2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.

3. In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next thing on the agenda...

Two things I'm obsessed with.

1. KitchenAid Mixers

It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

2. Anthropologie

The most beautiful clothes, why do they have to be so expensive???

No comments:

Post a Comment